Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > S27 - Engine house

I saw a Clever Models EngineHouse built by Brent Harris. He just put a you tube video of the EngineHouse on his layout. I really liked it so I bought one. Just started it Monday 3/21/2022. The description says it a model for experts not newbie like me. But you’ll never get better if you don’t try.

Brent Harris has some Oil tanks in his model. I asked where he got them and said they where from another Clever Model build he had done. If anyone knows what model the tanks where in, Please post that models number here!

This is going to be a very long project. All I have done it two roof truss.
March 22, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
Hi Jack. Not sure what oil tanks you are thinking of. We did have a freebie a couple of years ago that was four small (200 gallon) tanks. The individual oil tank was also part of the Yard Shed kit. If you can describe more what it looked like, maybe I can point you in the right direction.
March 22, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterDavid W Miecznikowski
Not an oil tank, per se, but there is also the ammonia tank that goes with the Jefferson Ice model in Jackson Collection #4.
March 22, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterDonald Albury
I’ve been working on the Two Bay Engine house for 11 hours. I’m still on the first step. The interior beams. David told me back when I first started Card Stock modeling, speed is not the thing here. You just stay the course.

Brent Harris has just completed a two bay engine house. He has two oil tanks in the house. I ask where he got them and he responded that they where part of another Clever model kit.

Thank for you feedback. I’ll look at what has been posted here as see? I did buy a couple on EBay the are metal but I think they are to small for what I want.

I’m not sure I should post a link to Brent Harris build. It is awesome!
March 24, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
Over 15 hours on beams & truss work. Finally I’ve started the front & back of the engine house.

Great model. Not sure where I’ll put it. I’ll have to get a turnout in order to use it as a working engine house. I do think I’ll make that change to the layout!
March 25, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
15 hours is not bad for what you have done so far. There are a lot of pieces and personally, I hate making timbers.
March 25, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterDavid W Miecznikowski
18 hours and finally the beams are complete. That was a struggle but I stuck with it.

I had to buy more ink for the Epson printer. I think maybe I made a mistake and bought some refill cartridges. Color seems a little off. So I ordered more Epson 69 pack. My color printer is so old it has Indian raid insurance on it! But it works very well.

Starting the ends. Glad to be back at something I’m more comfortable with.

I did find the Oil tank I want at clever models. It’s in the track side shanty. So I’ve got to order that. These models are sure allot of fun. Wish I had known about these earlier. Down side is with all the time building I’m not getting much run time on the layout. I bought a 2328 Postwar Lionel Burlington GP-7. Restored it and got it running like new. Looks like new but I’ve not had time to play with it. Building Clever Models is good because I’m side in air conditioning! In Florida that’s important. My man cave is not air conditioned!

Later. Anyone that may want to see my models. I have them on you tube under ‘Jack Simpson”.
March 27, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
The yard shed has an oil tank. S42 is the one I want!
March 27, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
I’m sure glad that I’m now in the area that I’m familiar with. Doing the ends now. Front & back side. Much easier. You can see your progress!
March 28, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
The engine house instructions say that you can get laser cut windows at additional cost? I went to www.generalinfo@clevermodels.com but did not get a match? Does this option still exists?
March 29, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
Hi Jack,
I'm sorry to say that it is not. I guess I have to fix the instructions. I am sorry for the misinformation. I no longer have that capability.
March 29, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterDavid W Miecznikowski
That’s OK. I guess that will be the biggest challenge. All those windows. I thought the beams where tough, but the windows will surpass that. This is a super nice building. A major challenge but I think it’s going to be worth it. Still thinking of where I’ll put it. My layout is full so I’ll need a spur to get to the engine house. But that’s the way a model railroad is.Never done!
March 30, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
A trick I recently tried on another model was to print the windows on transparent film, and used that for the rearmost layer. The muntins will not look quite as good as what you cut from paper, but they will all be neat and whole, and save a lot of very nit-picky cutting.
Donald
April 1, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterDonald Albury
Thank you for sharing that idea with me Donald. I think I’ll try that. This engine house is very labor intensive so every little thing will be helpful.
April 2, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
Donald:

I tried to print page 36 (windows) in clear lexan. My printer didn't seem happy and just passed the clear through the printer. I tried several ties looking at all the options for printing. Started to give up thinking maybe this is over my old head. Then I thought the printer thinks there isn't any paper in the printer. So I put a very thin piece of tape on normal paper and taped it to the edge oof the clear. To my surprise it worked. Looks pretty good I think. Set it aside to completely dry?

I'm going to try it on the build. Beats cutting the windows out! Thanks for the help!
April 3, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
Update on printing windows on clear lean.

The printed windows never dried. They sat all day yesterday and this morning the ink was still not dried. I put the printed windows outside in the sun. They seemed to dry but the ink beaded up and still a little damp after 3 or 4 hours?. So, this is not going to be acceptable for the engine house build.

I got on the internet to see what I found find as a replacement for the clear Lexan. Amazon had several. But of course when you buy something too can’t hold and look at it’s a gamble! I ordered three different products that met my requirements in there description? We will see what I get. I’ll keep the Clever Model folk’s informed!
April 4, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
Jack,
I used Apollo Quick-Dry Ink Jet Printer Transparency Film Universal, film type VCG7033S, that I found at Office Depot. I was, fortunately, able to check the compatibility chart on the package before I bought it. It is recommended for most models of ink-jet printers from Canon, Dell, Epson, H-P and Lexmark. (I have an OfficeJet Pro 7740.) It has a removable thin white strip at one end which I put next to the feed roller. One side is smooth and the other side has a texture. I found that ink never dried on the smooth side, but dried readily on the textured side. I hope this information will help you find something that works. I will say the stuff is expensive.
April 5, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterDonald Albury
I received two types of inkjet printable paper yesterday. One is clear and the other frosted. I like the frosted best. Printed out several sheets of windows and placed them in the sides of the engine house. I’m waiting a while for them to dry. Then I’ll do the house ends. With this new window paper I’m making great progress now.

I’m super happy with this model!
April 7, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
At last. I got the build completely done today on the engine house. Now I have to get a right hand turnout installed on my layout. Then put the track down and wire up the lights for this model. I had allot of fun with this one. If I was to do it again I think I’d use foam board on the outside walls like Brent Harris did on his engine house.

Going to look for another Clever Model now.
April 18, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson