Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Silver city Tool Shop

I've been in O gauge toy trains all my life. Use to buy plastic model buildings for the layout but the cost of those today is way too high. I saw a friend on you tube that seemed happy with Clever Models, so I thought I'd give it a try. I already have a O gauge layout and would like to add some buildings. I thought the best way was to try a freebie first and if all goes well, I'd buy some.
December 8, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
I have a limited time to work on this project. I’m surprised and how long it takes to cut the pictures out. I spent 2 hours yesterday and got little done. Today i spent about another 2 hours and have a little over half of the print outs cut out. I did start to glue them together. Much more difficult than I thought it would be. However I’m enjoying it allot. This is my first ever paper building effort. Wish I had a simpler building as my first effort?

Is it acceptable to post a picture on youtube and putting a link to the youtube thread?
December 12, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
if you are looking for some simpler paper craft projects try looking at Canon Creative Park and open Paper Craft. There are many many project ranging from simple to expert. I have several on my O gauge layout.
December 14, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterWilliam Wilcox
I’d like to see your layout with the items you are talking about William. I started my second building. # S33. The Silver City tool Shop has a much better picture showing the assembly. I guess the rest of these models they expect you to have enough knowledge that you don’t need a picture of the assembly process. When I first printed out the #33 I was disappointed however now that I have a couple hours working on it it seems to be coming together.
December 15, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
I'm not an expert builder, but here is a link to thread with some pictures of my build. I think this one builds up nicely for the average builder.

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/what-did-you-do-on-your-layout-today?reply=146142158444801608#146142158444801608

Hope that link works....
December 15, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterMichael Lane Hasty
Thanks for the link Michael. I went to the thread and looked it over. Saw several card stock buildings and one in progress. I was unable to tell what one was you. I did like the buildings. I saw the Silver City tool house which I love that building. I completed one but being my first paper build I can do better. I have printed out another set of drawings and will do another build as soon as the Coal station is completed.

I used to belong to the OGR forum, but several people (Click) ganged up on me. When I responded to their remarks, I got band? Never understood why. I didn't use bad language, didn't call anyone names? I don't miss them at all. Forums are like that!
December 15, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
Sorry I have taken so long to comment on this discussion, but you must realize that my models are not your traditional "punch out, insert tab A into slot B kits. These, when they are built well are highly detailed representations of the subject matter, and with maybe an added casting here and there, can rival just about any other type of kit. Yes, it does take time to cut things out, but are you in the hobby to rush through it. Good models take time to assemble, no mater what the material used is. Great models take a lot of time. As you become more proficient with paper modeling, obviously the build time will decrease, but why be in a hurry? Enjoy yourself. Modeling is fun. If it is not, maybe try something different.
December 23, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterDavid W Miecznikowski
I guess it’s my Aerospace training. Get it done on time and under budget. I love modeling. Been at it for 70 years. Been in O Gauge trains sense 1946. My father used me as the way to get Lionel trains and build models to go on the layout. Back then they where wood.

Your paper models are great fun and a real challenge for me. I’ve done three Silver City Tool shops. First one was great. Second one fell victim to frustration and I threw it. Third one is much better. I’m finishing it today.

I have purchased three more. I think this is going to be allot of fun. I’ll have to add to my layout in order to have space for the buildings. I’m working on that now. Also working on the first Hoosier Mamas building. I do wish there was a place to post pictures. Some things I don’t know where to put them. So I just end up with the building. But I still am enjoying this. Wish I had found it sooner!
December 23, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
Hello Jack (and others). The reason we don't have a place for YOU to post pix is quality control. I'm of the mind set that if you leave the boarders open, you never know who will drop in. We did, a long, long time ago allow it and you'd be amazed at some of the pix that showed up. And since I don't sit and monitor the website constantly, the pix would remain till I get to them. Not good.
So, if you send then to me, <mizewon@gmail.com> I will get them up in a reasonable amount of time. BUT, I do exercise editorial discression in what I post.
December 23, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterDavid W Miecznikowski
David:

Guess I didn’t explain myself very well again. I didn’t want to show my builds. Not now anyway. These are challenging for me. I want to see what others had done. Like what did folks do with the coal scale and the cola loader on the coal house building.

I do understand why you would want to be sure that pictures being posted you your site didn’t make your products look bad?
December 23, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
Many years ago I read an artical in Model Railroader titled Good Enough. It pointed out that the models on your layout do not have to be perfect. Many average models on a layout will look just as good as one perfect model displayed alone. Just keep building! Don't be discouraged by the ones shown on this site.
December 25, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterWilliam Wilcox
I’m working on my fourth building. I did get better as I go. I still struggle with setting the windows & doors back. But I’ll get it.

I’ve never been able to find any pictures of the models folks have built.

It is very true that there is not a lot of difference between a perfect model and a good model. Most eyes are on the moving train anyway. My builds are OK for the layout. Besides, this is therapy for me not an obsession. My toy trains remove all the stress out of life today! I miss the America I grew up in!!
December 25, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
I have been able to find cardstock models (including Clever Bros') by use of Google search engine.

But if that doesn't work for you, check out my Blog http://blacktop-crossing.blogspot.com/2020/07/18-count-em.html Some of my constructions might not even be considered "good enough" by many, but for a very small layout started with help from grandkids, I'm satisfied. Not all buildings are cardstock, but at least 18 have some amount of Clever Bros printouts (July 15, 2020).

I'm afraid since we were given an excellent model in N scale for a display downtown, my attention has moved from my HO layout to keeping this display running, sort of!?!?!?

Good luck.
December 25, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterMack Bailey
Therapy is a great word for describing the joy we get from model railroading. Now, if we could just get Medicare to cover the cost. Really, guys, I'm so glad to hear comments like this. What we do is meant to be fun. If it isn't, we might as well go back to work. Jack, or anyone else, if there is anything I can do to make things easier, let me know. I will even sit on the phone and walk you through something. I'd say facetime with you or zoom or teams, but you would have to help me figure that out. (708) 297-7928.
December 25, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterDavid W Miecznikowski
Clever Models' structures can be time consuming, on the front end, but can save time later on when weathering. The kits also led themselves to kit bashing, especially if you download some of their texture files.

You can find an excellent YouTube series about building Clever Models structures at:
https://www.youtube.com/c/CardStockModelingforModelRailroads/videos

Cheers,
December 25, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterPaul Mitchell
Just to qualify my use of the word Therapy. In 2016 my wife had a massive stroke. It left her in a very poor state. Her right side is completely paralyzed. At first I had her in a nursing home because I didn’t have any idea what else to do. But that didn’t work out at all. It’s a wonder I didn’t end up in jail. But I’ll skip that part.

I ended up getting Miss Sharon in a real rehab center in Springhill Florida. Treating Miss Sharon was a main goal but they taught me how to take care of her. God Bless Them. As a result of there training they gave me I brought her home and started a massive learning curve. Today I’ve been taking care of Miss Sharon and her beautiful dog Benjamin for 5 years & 5 months. Between me and the dog Miss Sharon has made great progress. The more progress is probably due to her dog Benjamin. It’s still a handful of work but I manage. Now the O Gauge trains. They give me a place to relax. Not worry about anything other than keeping them running and I get to repair, fix, restore & build toy train stuff. That’s therapy at it’s best. I got my first Lionel O gauge train on December 25, 1946. You can see my work on you tube under jack simpson.
December 25, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
Jack,
I've shared some pictures of this before, a while back. https://www.donalbury.com/light-industrial-module.html shows a module I built for a club layout. Seven of the ten structures on the module are Clever Models cardstock, all are more or less modified from the downloaded files. A closer look at how I modified three of the models is here: https://www.donalbury.com/kitbashing.html
Donald
December 25, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterDonald Albury
Thanks Mack, David, Donald. This has helped me allot. By seeing a picture of what you all have done helped allot.
December 26, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
CardStock modeling for model railroads channel on youtube has really helped me with the Clever Model projects. For a newbie in this hobby they provide allot of information. They are also big fans of Clever models. They showed the tools, paper types, etc. All things that Clever models provided in there web site but a movie (video) is worth a thousand words.

Thank you guys for providing a place where I can collect information about this great hobby. I saw lots of things I was doing wrong.
December 26, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
Hey Jack,

Glad you're making good progress. I don't mean to speak for the Bros, but I bet they might suggest that there is not a "wrong" way to do things -- maybe easier, or different, or. . . but whatever way is YOUR way is fine. The guy on the videos is doing some outstanding work in O SCALE. Some of what he does might be more difficult in HO scale. And, having tried ONE building in N scale, I would say some of what he does may be IMPOSSIBLE in N scale!

May you always have sharp blades and clean cardstock ;),

Mack
December 26, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterMack Bailey