Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > FREEBIE #13 is available for download.

Real simple one this time. Check out the pix on the BLOG page.
November 23, 2019 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
A very well designed kit for so simple a structure. Your freebie timber shed model got me really hooked on card modelling some years ago and I suspect this one could have the same effect for modellers new to card modelling.

Seeing the kit I immediately started looking for specs on concrete slabs since one usually doesn't set a new shed directly on the ground. First stop was the local Council's wen site, expecting to find some details of local regulations but no luck. So a general search using "concrete slab for shed" brought me up with everything for arguments pro and con for concrete, detailed directions for constructing a slab and several YouTube videos.

In general a 4" concrete slab would be pretty normal for a small shed like this with a normal door, ie not intended for heavy equipment. However the slab needs to sit on a good foundation, usually tamped gravel on a solid base. In colder climes (I live in the tropics) it might need a deeper base and reinforced footing to prevent frost heaving. While not visible, most shed slabs should probably contain reinforcing mesh laid before construction.

The shed walls might sit directly on the slab or overhang the slab slightly. In any event they need to be well anchored to the slab, particularly in a cyclone-related building code area such as where I live.

Finally, the photos in the blog illustrate some of the details, and a scenery setting, essential to making this a realistic model.

Many thanks Thom and Dave,
Lynn
November 29, 2019 | Unregistered CommenterLynn Zelmer
Hi Lynn. While your comments are probably accurate, the context of the shed shown in the pix is that it (they, there are probably 10-15 of this type of shed within a mile of my office) is on private property (Arcelor Mittal Steel, East Chicago, IN plant) where things like building codes don't function very well, if at all. The shed in the picture, sits on a graded bed of slag with the only anchorage being that the corner posts (3" x 3" angle) are probably driven into the ground a foot or so. Smaller angle iron tacked to the posts for a frame and the sheeting screwed to that. Probably took 4 guys with a pickup truck, a small front end loader and a portable welder, a week to assemble. And being union workers, there were a lot of breaks. We throw'em up cheap and quick. The shed in the pic is used for storage. It has electricity, lights and receptacles. No insulation. It will probably be buried in snow, most of the winter.
November 29, 2019 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
What's this, Dave? Union help taking multiple breaks? I resemble. uh, I mean resent that remark!! (tee-hee)
November 29, 2019 | Unregistered CommenterVern Sargent
I'm a United Steelworker's Union member, so I get to make comments like that. (It's somewhere in the contract, I think. HA-HA)
December 1, 2019 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
Hi Dave... I live in cyclone territory (you call them hurricanes) where the building codes may be enforced by Mother Nature and the subsequent denial of an insurance claim. As well, tropical humidity and heat are a bit more of a problem here than with you.

Similar quick and dirty structures here were often built with timber corner and intermediate posts (4-12" dia and up to 8' spacing) with corrugated iron sheets fastened to horizontal stringers leaving at least 6" of space between the bottom and the ground.
December 5, 2019 | Unregistered CommenterLynn Zelmer