Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Latest Failures and Challanges

Hi all. I'm back and still confused. First, thanks to all for your words of encouragement and tips. I'm beginning to see that building paper models is an acquired skill and that I still have a long way to go. I didn't realize that I had taken on somewhat complicated builds with the turbine house and White Castle. As a result of my efforts the paper recycling business in the area is going strong. My next attempt was Hoosier Mama's and while the results are more encouraging, things are on hold while I play with the front and the roof. I thought that I would try a simple rectangle to hone my skills but that isn't going too well either. I decided to build the warehouse flat from the brick collection but I'm stumped before making a single cut. I have printed the wall pieces, laid them out on a table and just stare at them. Without pictures, no fold lines, and to keep things interesting, no instructions, I'm stumped. There are also two, one story wall sections (C and D) and these really confuse matters. How do they fit in with the two story structure? My doctor says my brain is turning into mashed potatos as a result of woking with paper models. Dave, I may tke you up on your offer to call you.

Thanks to all again.
March 30, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterPeter B
Peter B, PLEASE don't give up on this challenge AND keep the comments coming. When I need a chuckle, I like to check out your latest input --- "laid them out on a table and just stare at them"! I understand. I'll confess to being a degreed engineer (I won't mention how many degrees) with about 40 years of experience, as well. I normally take the "manly" approach to making things by just jumping in and only checking instructions "when all else fails". As I recall, the Quonset Hut went together pretty well although I may have left off a dormer. I also left off any dormer on the Company Houses and cut off the basement (few basements in my part of the world); they were pretty straight forward. I did vary the front porches a bit for variety. The point is: there are some fairly simple constructions, but even with them, there's room for "creativity".

Can't wait for your next comments! Good luck.
March 30, 2015 | Unregistered Commentermwbailey
Oh boy, do I feel stupid. After looking at the little schematic long enough, I finally realized that it shows the sequence that the pieces are stacked and once everything is glued together and folded, you have a building. Wow, what a concept! I can build a rectangle.

Peter
March 30, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterPeter B
I decided to slow down a bit and do some preliminary work. I printed most of the warehouse flat in black and white, roughly put it together and realized very quickly that the building was far too tall for my location and also a bit short. So, I removed a few stories, lengthened it and got what I need and want. I'm not going to build a true flat as my building will have four walls. I'm trying to figure out a roof for my building using my black and white model. Slowing down and using a mock up has lowered the frustration level considerably. I may finally realize some level of success.

Peter
April 2, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterPeter B
Im sure you will Peter
I always discribe the "oh wow " moment when you get a wall or two done and the potential becomes clear. your on your way
April 3, 2015 | Registered CommenterDave