Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Reducing O scale to HO

Well, it looks as if my model purchasing days are over since only O scale will be the only offerings in the future. I am far from computer savvy. I have an Epson Artisan 725 printer and have figured out how to use it to reduce the O scale to 55% but can only can get the printer to print one page to a 81/2 "X 11 sheet of paper. I use photo quality print stock to print my models and that is a total waste of expensive paper. Does anybody have some very specific instructions on how to get two pages on one sheet? I have been trying to print the Manilla Rope and Cord model form an O scale that someone sent me.My Jackson Collection Vol 3 HO scale was missing a page.

Ron
September 25, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterRon
Ron,

Take a closer look at your print driver. You may have the option to print 2 pages on 1 sheet. If you have a properties tab or advanced print options tab you may find the answer there.

Good luck,

John
September 25, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterJohn
Hi Rn,

I really hate to say this but I have to agree with you.

I model in HO and if have to buy O Scale Models and then go to the time and cost to reduce them so I can use them, I don't think I will buy many, if any.

Clever Models would have to make sure they have a "Scale" on each page so we have any chance to get the correct size when reducing the pages. This is something Clever Models hasn't been very good at. Then the wasted paper has to be considered.

If the models were free it might be worth the time to do what has to be done just to get started, well we know they won't be free.

If you don't have the time to do it right then close Clever Models down.
September 25, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterBill Fornshell
Ron/Bill

"...close Clever Models down."... I think not. Clever's models are a great resource for my modelling and, unlike when I purchase scale specific components (think Grandt Line doors and windows, for example), I can print them to the scale I need. I use Clever textures to create unique models, which I generally make available online. I also used to upload both HO and O scale versions, but have stopped doing so because it significantly increases my production time, time that I coule better spend on creating other models.

Yes, it takes a little effort to figure out the scaling function when printing and to check the box to print two pages on one... but a modeller who learns how to use his tools generally becomes a better modeller. And the computer/printer IS a modelling tool!
:-)

Photo quality print stock is expensive, but when I stuff up a component I'll print another copy, regardless of the cost, because I want the model to look as good as possible. However, not all models need to be on photo grade stock... clean varnish certainly, but weathered timber looks just as good on snooth surface card. And overall the cost of paper and ink is miniscule compared to purchasing a comparable commercial styrene, timber or brass model kit.

Happy modelling,
Lynn
September 25, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterLynn Zelmer
Hey guys...let's not throw out the baby with the bath water. Remember how helpless you felt when you got your first computer? This is NOTHING compared to that. All you have to do is learn one thing, how to scale a drawing. Even us old dinosaurs could benefit by learning a new skill. As far as wasting paper, how many half sheets do you think will be wasted printing out a structure?
I think this small inconvenience is worth it if it will insure that we will be getting quality models in the future.
September 26, 2014 | Unregistered Commenterjerry
Hi Lynn,

I am a big fan of your CaneSIG site and follow your recent articles in the Narrow Gauge Down Under. I just got the Oct 2014, Issue #55 a few days ago. With the new issue it brings the number of NGDU that I have to 50.

I don't have a problem doing any of the things you suggest. My "Union Hotel" model

http://www.freerails.com/view_topic.php?id=4496&forum_id=6

was the inspiration for Clever Models to make the one they are coming out with - one day. They saw my construction thread and liked the hotel.

I used a few pictures and a couple of Harry Brunk's drawing and created my version of his hotel. The corner door was my idea since I didn't like the door on the side of the building.

I just believe this idea that all models will come in O Scale only is a bad business decision. Maybe as the "paying customer" I don't like the idea of this is the way it is going to be, so, take it or leave it.
September 26, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterBill Fornshell
Some interesting comments but… rather than disagree with earlier posters I will say this, we are all here because we model…create a fantasy world if you will.

Good modeling takes many skills. Easy for some, more difficult for others. Computer skills (Photoshop/editing, resizing) are easy for me. However, I can’t glue a good butt joint to save my life. Maybe I’m too shaky; both hands have slight tremors at this point in my life.

Based on the above comments I may recommend that the brothers stop producing the building that have “butt” joints because I can’t do them correctly. Of course that would be crazy. So too is the notion that “scaling” should be stumbling block for any of us to conclude that Clever Models should just stop because they “can’t do it right”.

I don’t know the answer to the problems above, but it would NOT be the stumbling block that keeps me from moving forward with these great structures. Just like me trying and trying to make a good Butt joint, some of us should figure out how to overcome this scaling issue and chalk it up to learning a new skill.

This is not meant as a slam, as I would be sad if any issue like this killed the interest in this part of your hobby.

Please enlist the help of the community to try to resolve the issue and more importantly, please share with us your finished products.

Charlie
September 26, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterCharlie
I model in HO scale and my concern is that only small to medium size models will be offered Those into HO or N gauge would like to see larger models I am trying to show modelers how to kit-bash these into larger structures using only the simplest of programs I use MS Paint that comes installed on most computers already This program can also be used to rescale a drawing or kit if anyone is interested my Email is listed in the kit Bashing post prior to this one
September 26, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterPaul Egri
The union hotel is done (thank you Bill for the inspiration) but related to this issue we are having trouble uploading it to the server that handles the commerce and downloads. It should be up we have tried several times to get it loaded.
This is central to our decision we are not web geniuses and everything in all scales is beyond us. As you can see with the delay of the hotels we are stretched to the breaking point. The only way to alleviate the pressure is to, for now and the foreseeable future to limit kits to O scale which at least allows everyone to build the kits without "upscaling" which would result in compromised quality.
Now should we ever be able to afford a programmer (expensive) the problems would go away and we could flood you all with new kits and innovations we have played around with.
Short of some deep pocket company or individuals buying us or partnering with us we will do the best we can with what we have.
September 26, 2014 | Registered CommenterDave
I have all the O scale discs as I model in 1:29 scale and On30 ( the O scale discs were great for this) and now have a Z scale layout under way. I print the O scale structures at 25% of the O scale structures. While there is some waste and I print with an Epson Workforce 4630 on Georgia Pacific card stock I get at Walmart., I used the "waste" to strengthen my structures. The other night I built the Clyde Puffer which ended up being 2 3/8 inches long.

Don't use expensive paper. Normal card stock works fine. I have used for O scale structures for years and it works great. I have printed on matte paper, but this seems a waste of good money when card stock works great.

Some of my kit bashed structures are somewhere in the blog section.
Cheers,
Jeff
September 26, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterJeff Damerst
Jeff. I model in 1:24 and On30. Am not computer literate. How do you up scale O scale material for 1:29 ( or in my case 1:24) ?

Cheers from the Heart of North America
Will
September 29, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterWill
Jeff and Will,
When you guys figure the scaling size, let me know. I model in several scales including 1:20. I'd love to try out one of the buildings in that size.

Steve
September 29, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterSteve
Will, it can be done, but you probably wouldn't be happy with the resolution (quality) of the print. Sort of like blowing up one of those old 2" photo booth images to an 8x10. You could give it a try...Download one of "freebies" & see how it turns out. Probably need one of those free photo editing programs.
September 29, 2014 | Unregistered Commenterjerry
Thanks Jerry. I suspected the res would be bad but I had to ask just in case. Don't ask then don't know.

Will
September 29, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterWill
Guys,
I think you will be surprised at the resolution. It will be better than you think, but that's not the main issue here. Unless you have some form of software that allows you to position your printout relative to the sheet or a printer that can handle large format printing, YOU WILL RUN OUT OF SPACE on the page. If all you have is an 8-1/2" x 11" format printer, you will be forced to print individual pieces to a page. It's not at all hard to do, you just have to plan your output, I do stuff in 1:29 every once and a while and the models come out great. One of the things on my workbench is a 1:24 scale Box cab from our "Critters" DVD. There is a picture on the BLOG page.
September 29, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
Thom - since your having problems uploading the Hotels to your server...can you make them available to purchase as a DVD?

Thanks,
Rob
September 30, 2014 | Unregistered Commenter-Rob
Rob,

At last a solution. How about it Thom and Dave? I Think Rob has a great idea.

John
September 30, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterJohn
Just thought of another plus to scaling your drawings. I model inside in Ho & Hon3 & have used N scale buildings for "forced perspective" Now you could model in any scale between HO & N to make the progression smoother.
September 30, 2014 | Unregistered Commenterjerry
I'm happy to see more folks working with us toward a solution. Getting used to the idea of scaling our files will have all kinds of pluses once you get used to it. Ive been talking to some programmers about creating an interface that will take our files and handle scaling, layout and even customization of signage and road names. It can all be done but we currently can't afford to pay someone to write the code and implement it. Right now I need to focus on creating more designs (since it seems most of you have everything) so when we get the pipeline fixed there will be stuff to put in it.
September 30, 2014 | Registered CommenterDave