Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Possible pre cut and scored kit

I have the opportunity to test creating a pre-cut test kit. I will share the results in the blog as soon as I have something. If you could get any kit pre-cut and being able to buy such a kit, which one would you choose?
Your input please.
November 1, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterThom
I like having the possibility of modifying kits, but, that's just me.
November 1, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterDonald Albury
Digital kits would still be available. The printed and cut kits would be a special order. Limited edition kind of thing. Remember we used to get $16 to $35 for printed kits. I think we have beat the paper stigma thing, so our cut kits would be compatibly priced.
November 1, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterThom
Ah, sets of pre-cut windows and doors! Gingerbread trim... Signs and billboards!

If you had the Rural Depot pre-cut, I would have ordered that one. 15 minutes each for the secondary roof brackets (26 of them) is a big investment, granted, I'm sandwiching mat board strip between the two halves to get more mass.

And especially in the smaller scales. I model in O.
November 1, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterWayne
And you probably can kitbash the pre-cut kits pretty well. Maybe even easier.
November 1, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterWayne
You might consider offering pre-cut detail parts for your kits as opposed to a complete kit
November 2, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterPaul Egri
Any of the railroad station kits. But I model in HO scale. Meaning any pre-cut kit would need to be in HO scale for me to purchase.
November 2, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterJohn Humes
I would be very interested in precut window muntins (Glass dividers).
November 2, 2017 | Unregistered Commentersean
I would be interested in a selection of various size precut windows with pre cut
muntins for easier glass installation. Cutting those narrow pieces is difficult even in O scale.
November 2, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterJim Iwanicki
I should have asked is this something you will be able to do in house or will it be limited like the Creeky Shingles If it something you can do then detail parts should be a continuous source of income But on the other hand if it will be limited then a complete kit is a better option
November 4, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterPaul Egri
The Gorre engine house. The windows would be enough! The cutting was a patience work.
In locomotive manufacturers, the wheels are more often than laser cut.
November 4, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterAristoteles
From your "extras" on the texture discs, the signs and supports, windows and doors. I think the detail parts would be most useful, to me. Ig you were doing kits than I would suggest the Gorre Enginehouse and Rural Depot and perhaps the new Mill kit would be good candidates.

Weston
November 4, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterWeston Rhodenizer
The next part of the question is cost. While still a savings, these kits would be comparable to laser wood kits. Perhaps in the $30 area, and up.
Thoughts? Consider Labor, printing, cutting, packaging. This can't be automated. Even the best commercial die cutter companies won't guarantee accuracy greater than a 16th of an inch. We will guarantee it if we go this way.
November 4, 2017 | Unregistered Commenterthom
You brought up the shingles. Doing parts would be very similar. The shingles where only marginally successful so that has to be taken into consideration. They were $20 a pack and we barely made anything.
November 4, 2017 | Unregistered Commenterthom
A complete kit? Not for me. But multi pane windows (like the Gorre engine house) gingerbread trim, and shingles would interest me. Windows take the most time for me of any part of buildings. Shingles? I bought several packs. I put them on a couple of builds. I was put off by the dark color and slightly glossy finish, so did not reorder. The cutting was wonderful, though. If you ever re-do them, a more weathered color (lighter) and a matte finish would help. And leave out the torn tar paper…that is easily created by hand. If they looked better (overall effect) you could raise the price a bit. Just my two cents worth.
November 6, 2017 | Unregistered Commenterbob bruce
Well, really good and helpful feedback so far. Admittedly a small sample, but here's what I've learned so far. You prefer parts rather than kits. You like modifying the kits and see the value in self printing. Price isn't an issue.
My brother thinks I'm crazy for even thinking about this.
So, new thoughts. What I really want opinions on is, will pre-cut kits bring us new users? All of you who responded are seasoned builders. You've had time to "get it", but what about the card stock virgins? Are they intimidated by all the cutting to the point of not trying our kits?
Chat amongst yourselves and give me your thoughts.
November 7, 2017 | Unregistered Commenterthom
Newcomers in my opinion are looking for an inexpensive way to add structures to there layout if your going to have to charge the price of a craftsman kit to make a profit I think the price itself will chase newcomers away when for the same price they can get a shake the box plastic kit your freebies are enough to get newcomers to give it a try although I think the stairs in the gateman's house is far to hard for the average newcomer and should be replaced with a simpler model
November 7, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterPaul Egri
Still agree that most bang for buck (and time) with pre-cut would be the finer details, like windows, maybe even doors, like others have suggested. Relating these pre-cuts to "full kits" -- like, identify what specific pre-cut windows are available for Company House -- would help new modelers and maybe reduce the tedium and "agony" of cutting small pieces. In fact, these details would help inexperienced new modelers and lazy old modelers (like me).

Generally, I agree with Egri, but not all newcomers are just looking for inexpensive models. Specific structures and realistic coloring (pre-weathered, for example) attracted me originally.
November 7, 2017 | Unregistered Commentermwbailey
I think Roger Brookes hit the nail on the head (on the blog page) when he reminded us that one of the appeals of the print-your-own format is the ability to reprint any individual page if you mess up anything. That is one of the features that makes kit bashing your buildings a pleasure. One can easily try several configurations and save only what you like. You would not be able to do this with a pre-printed kit.
November 8, 2017 | Unregistered Commenterbob bruce
Listen to your brother. You would probably end up with an expensive inventory which you don't have now. Most people would go for the laser cut wood kits if there was no price difference. You would eliminate the advantages you now have over the other types of kits. No. 1...A very affordable cost. NO 2 The ability to modify easily. 3 The ability to reprint if a mistake is made. 4 The ability to print in any scale or "in between" scales for forced perspective. 5.To be able to get many variations from one kit...the small houses kit for example. Just my opinion, but I enjoy the cutting & folding. jerry
November 9, 2017 | Unregistered Commenterjerry
Hi, sounds like pre-cut kits may not be all it's cracked up to be. However, how 'bout offering a collection of multiple windows with trim, doors with trim, shingles, porch posts, textures, signs etc., uncut, as a collection? A *big* collection...
November 9, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterWayne
Quick observation from across the "pond" postage is so high that it's uneconomical for me to buy kits, normally about doubles the price, so go to UK stockiest .
Don't know how many other customers this would affect or if would make any difference to your sales.

Roger Brookes
November 10, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterRoger Brookes
In my opinion, pre-cut kits COULD bring in new customers who are unfamiliar with working in card stock, or are scared away by the thought of having to cut out everything themselves. I will agree with most people here who would love to see pre-cut windows and window DETAILS like lintels, sills, etc. (doors and signs also)
You could pick your most popular model and see what happens with a pre-cut kit. I would start small until you can see where this is going.
Honestly, if I had the choice of a pre-cut CARD kit or LASER kit I would go with the card stock. No painting needed and IMO it just looks more realistic since you are using photographic textures.
December 3, 2017 | Unregistered Commenterwalter
What im talking about wouldent chang our current method but be an extension of our kits.
December 7, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterThom
I've decided on the subject of the cut test. I've always wanted to try a steel bridge. It would be a simple model but very hard to cut
. This will be fantastic if it works.
December 11, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterThom