Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Laser vs inkjet

Hello folks. Just getting into cardstock models and I would like to know the better printer options. Laser vs inkjet. Now I've done some research and I am aware of laser printers not handling color well but this seems to be with photos as far as I can tell. Is there any reason I shouldn't be considering the cost effectiveness of the laser over the inkjet for cardstock modelling ? Do you folks heavily favour one over the other ? Thanks for any advice.
April 3, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterTom
Well Tom, it's really a matter of choice. Either will work really well. It is some of the characteristics that might steer you one way or another. Personally, I will, if I have a choice, use an ink-jet. The main reason is that ink-jets, by default, print flat, whereas lasers are much more shiny. You can get an ink-jet to print shiny, but you will never get a no sheen output from a laser. That's basically because in an ink-jet, you have a liquid medium that "dries", while in a laser, you have a pigment that is "fused" to the paper (melted) with high temperature.
Personally, I think the color output of a laser tends to look "cartoonish". Don't get me wrong, there are times when I will use a laser to get a particular effect, so I have both handy.
You say that the laser is more economical. That may not necessarily be true. It is tough to gauge since I've never attempted to see how many kits I can print on a set of laser cartridges. I can tell you that you can expect anywhere from 10 to 20 kits on a set of hi-capacity EPSON ink cartridges. Depends on the size of the kits. When people ask about printing costs, I usually tell them that an average kit will cost between $5.00 and $10.00 to print, ink and paper.
One thing I just remembered. Lasers are great for printing on transparencies. When they are printed they're done. Ink-jet printing on clear is iffy, at best. Takes forever to dry and then is never "really" permanent. You have to be really careful not to smear them.
So that's just my opinion.
April 3, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
I have used both laser and inkjet printers for Clever Model kits and gave up on the laser almost immediately. The laser tended to be darker and higher contrast [read, it burned the darn cardstock]. "Cartoony" is good way to describe it. I use a Canon All-In-One inkjet printer and have had great results. I never noticed the sheen that Dave mentions, but I would much prefer the inkjet.
April 4, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterJim Gore
read the archives, much discussion versus the two types, also
different brands discussed, depending on the weight of your
cardstock, epson is the best, the early machines can't be beat,
you can run 100# stock all day,can't do.that with a laser.or
modern day.inkjet, read the archives
April 5, 2017 | Unregistered Commentermel perry
All mine are printed on a big Kyocera laser printer at work (Shhhh! Don't tell the boss!), and though it does give a sheen to printouts when light catches them, a seal with a matt varnish rattle can once the kits are complete takes that sheen away pretty well.

Just be aware that said varnish will fog any glazing you might put in the windows of the buildings, so make sure you cover those with masking tape before applying the sealer.

Thanks,
Dan
April 30, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterDanBeresford