Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > More Wood Shed Furniture

The Bros asked for a little more discussion, so here's another contribution that includes furniture in the Wood Yard Shed that I used as a Woodyard Shed. http://blacktop-crossing.blogspot.com/

The desk and chair are laser cut from the Vector Cut kit. They have little to do with cardstock modeling except that I would never have attempted the furniture if the Wood Yard Shed had not suggested "glazed" windows. Now I find that you cannot really see inside the shed through the glazing, but the open windows work better. I'm not sure I will pursue a pot-bellied stove like Dan H, but I like the idea.

This blog is primarily for me to keep up with what I've been doing, but on this small, 4'X6'4" layout, there are several Clever Bros "kits". In fact, the last entry (as of 2/14/17), last photo shows a couple of mill village houses from Clever Bros as well as the tail end of a slightly kit-bashed Small Brick Machine Shop adapted to a boiler house for the plastic Cotton Factory.

I continue to be pleased with the flexibility and realism of these cardstock kits, even with my unskilled craftsmanship.

Thanks Dave and Thom.
February 14, 2017 | Unregistered Commentermwbailey
I feel your pain concerning the Sylvan kit glazing. I've made a few of them & used .005 styrene for a few windows & gloss medium (Mod Podge) for some. I think most if not all of those window making liquids are gloss medium.. One of the kits came with vacuum formed glazing that didn't fit. They do make up into great looking models if you take your time. Probably should be air brushed, although I've used rattle cans with good results. Another small minus is the absence of any chrome...it has to be hand painted, but because of the small size in HO, it's hardly noticeable ..... jerry
February 16, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterJerry
Y'know, if I had any sense, I would have modeled one or more of the windows OPEN so you could see the furniture. I'm kicking myself.
February 16, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterDan H
Get out your modeling knife & remove the bottom sash of a few windows so it looks like it's pushed all the way up. Just as a side issue, I use scalpel blades from Amazon. You get 100 for about $9.00 with a handle. Sharper & thinner than Xacto but a little too fragile for thicker wood.
February 16, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterJerry
Thanks for sharring Blacktop crossing.love seeing kits in use. nice modeling .
February 16, 2017 | Registered CommenterDave
Hey, Jerry, since I have not been able to justify an air brush, I just do with what I have and claim to be "representative"!! I will say that my dad has been known to paint a 1958 Ford station wagon with a paint brush -- I mean the REAL car!?!? I did try to "represent" (!) chrome with silver paint, but it really IS small. Maybe I should have shown the underside/chassis where I took a few liberties with paint.

Dan H, I wish I could claim having used some sense and forethought when modeling the Woodyard Shed -- and left a couple of windows open -- but it was mostly happenstance and just playing with the kit. At first I was upset with myself for getting fingerprints on the "glazing" but then I noticed how the fingerprints seemed to suggest spider webs. No self-respecting pulpwooder is going to clean the cobwebs from the windows, right? So, I guess the poor view of the interior goes with the realism of spider webs.

Thanks for checking things out! I owe a lot of my enjoyment, and frustration, in model railroading to the Clever Bros. When they requested a little more discussion, I was glad to oblige.
February 16, 2017 | Unregistered Commentermwbailey