Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Kitbashing with Clever Models

Editor's NOTE: To see a picture of the model that Lynn built, go to the BLOG page of this website.
Dave Miecznikowski

I've just finished a low profile background flat of a Queensland country-style hotel. As some readers of this discussion will remember, I've been creating photorealistic card kits of Queensland structures and rolling stock for several years... and most have some textures or other elements liberated from Clever Models' kits, and texture sheets.

This particular model has doors, windows, signs, rendered concrete and other details from local (Rockhampton Queensland and area) structures, but it also has timber, corrugated iron and other textures adapted from Clever. I still have an extensive collection of commercial [Grandt Line, etc.] doors, windows, etc., from my previous modelling with styrene or wood sheets, but more and more I'm using photorealistic elements.

The photo shows the hotel sitting on the footpath [adapted from another Clever texture] for the diorama where it will be the backdrop for a selection of Queensland rolling stock (On30 and On42). The ground floor posts will align properly when I fasten the model onto the diorama, but I need to prepare the trackwork before I do that.

My first NGDU article on the model described it as a patchwork project and looking at the final product I can identify some of the components I created but much of it consists of kitbashed textures from Clever Models... when I think of how much money I invested in HO scale lumber, styrene and commercial windows/doors, etc., over the years... I can eliminate all of them with printed card! My modelling might have evolved quite differently if better quality card models had been available back in the 1960s.

I went to a meeting of the local printmaker's group last week where the presenter had a quote from a French poet/philosopher that paraphrases as "for the artist the process is more interesting than the result" and it's certainly true here. It's been an interesting research project, a long drawn out construction process due to day-to-day distractions [and family medical challenges], and when completed (it also needs a display cabinet constructed) the diorama will be a useful display at our local rail museum museum... but I'm ready to move on.

Thank you and best wishes, Clever!

And my next major project? Likely a timber cattle wagon using individual board construction... photorealistic card of course.
October 11, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterLynn Zelmer