Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > New Printer Suggestions?

I'm looking for a new printer, and I'm hoping someone here might have suggestions. My needs:

1. I want something with a flatbed feed, so I can use thicker, stiffer cardboard. (My wife often needs to print double-sided, so ideally, it should have the capacity for that as well.)

2. Handles different paper sizes easily.

3. Minimal jams. Paper jams are the curse of my life. If I wanted endless, pointless jamming, I'd become a Grateful Dead fan.

4. The ink or toner refills should be easy to obtain, and ideally, inexpensive.

5. High-resolution output.

6. Wi-Fi would be a plus.

It's a drag searching for a flatbed printer, because the search engines all assume I want a flatbed scanner on top. Which I do, but the flatbed paper feed is the big thing I need.

Any suggestions?
January 29, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterDan H
I haven't seen a flatbed feed in years. However, one of my three printers might fit the bill for you. I have a Dell P513w that has a rear feed that will take 110 lb card no problem and will probably take thicker. It also has a WiFi feed. I also have a Canon All-In-One that has a rear feed, better color separation, but no WiFi. I would recommend either. As for cheap ink cartridges, I am not sure there is such a beast. I pay around $60 for a complete set.

Jim
January 29, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterJim Gore
forget about trying to find a ombo "two fer",basic printer, epson inkjet c-120 or workfoce 30 (same printer),
bought both on recommendation from the brothers, never have had a problem with either, basic printer,
keeps on going, going, going, scanners are cheap, look at amazon for deals, don't try and screw the
pooch, stick to basics, you'll like the epsons, try amazon,ebay or epson,they are getting hard to find, not
just because they are old tech, they actually work, remember this, the brothers can't be wrong, it's their job
January 29, 2016 | Unregistered Commentermel perry
Like Mel says, stick with one purpose machines. I like Epson because of the superior (but expensive) inks.
No point in building something only to see it fade.

Rear feeders that spit out the front offer nearly flat travel.

I use an Epson Workforce 1100 because I need to print large sheets. It will swallow and print anything.
Read the specs, they will often mention what weight a printer will take.
February 3, 2016 | Unregistered Commenterbob bruce
Epson is certainly your safest choice. I went out and bought a Canon at Walmart just as a test. $50 bucks, cheeper then the ink on an Epson. I'll give you a fresh report in a day or two.
February 3, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterThom
in addition to what bob bruce stated earlier, i run 100 lb stock regularly , have
never had a problem, yes ink is expensive, if you use an inkjet, fact of life, but
the quality of the finished product can't be beat, laser jets require too much
additional finishing to preserve the work, such as over spraying, and not stated
earlier, most laserjet inks are not compatible, much less react the same,
individually with overspray, trial and error rule applies with laserjet inks/powder
February 3, 2016 | Unregistered Commentermel perry
Here's a printer update. I picked up a Canon Pixma all in one at wallmart for $50 ink included. Wile its a great deal in general as a printer, For our purposes its rather lacking. It does have a streight pass through for the paper and set up is simple. The image quality seems less contrast then with Epson. The blacks are not fully solid. It's a small thing but it's just a bit less then I like. Not that the results are unexceptional for the price its quite good. I'd still go with Epson.
February 14, 2016 | Registered CommenterDave