Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Using a Laser/MechanicalĀ Cutter

Making the multiple cuts to get a layered look gets harder as the scale of the model gets smaller. Since laser cutters are getting lower in price, and the mechanical cutters look slightly better than most of us could cut by hand, has anyone used these yet? When you have multiple windows in N-scale, or smaller, it is so easy to have an Aarrgh! moment on the last cut of a building side. I do not want to do that again and am looking for workarounds. (making a cutting guide for multiple windows shows promise)

Thank you for your input.
LensCapOn
November 10, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterLensCapOn
I just caught up with this query today and will try to get further information over the weekend for a later report.

My neighbour has a laser cutter for his card making business and I've been looking at his results. My biggest concern is the minimum width of material between cuts, such as one would require for window mullions. I'd be willing to try O scale windows on his system but nothing smaller, and I'm not sure that it would work for framing around a window or door due to the minimal width sometimes required (2 scale inches on a current model).
February 12, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterLynn Zelmer
The cutters are getting better and better. I think a laser could handle the cuts in most any scale. where the difficulty arises is the registration of printed images with the laser cutting.
February 12, 2016 | Registered CommenterDave