Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Poster Board Backing

I recently tried using poster board to strengthen the walls of a cardstock building. I like how rigid the wall is, but I want my windows open. Cutting through the board was difficult and I was left with a thick window. Are you guys using a thinner poster board? How are you making this work?
January 31, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterJacques
jacques:poster*board*is*rather*a*porous*material,*unless*sealed<try*using*strathmore
instead,*just*remember*to*cut*your*interior*wall*openings*larger*than*the*exterior*ones,
this*will*enable*you*to*fold*the*exterior*material*into*the*interior,,*just*remember*to*use
sufficient*bracing*fo*the*walls
January 31, 2014 | Unregistered Commentermel perry
Jacques, what scale are you modeling in?
February 2, 2014 | Unregistered Commenterbob bruce
Jacques - for brick buildings I use 3/16" thick gator board and cut the window openings to the exact size of the opening. I then fold the window inserts into the opening from the front, applying glue to the gator board edges before inserting the window. The 3/16" thickness of the board is more or less equal to the depth of the window insert and provides good support. When cutting poster board, gator board or any backing material, try using a utility knife. I find it gives me a lot of leverage when cutting. Thom put up a short video on YouTube that shows how to mount windows. I think you find it by searching under Clever Models. Have fun! Jim
February 8, 2014 | Unregistered Commenterjim bisbee