Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Are you aquainted with rapid prototyping

I've been looking at RP as a way to extend our digital product line. Well. Tom Bell has jumped the gun on us and we don't mind (we'll catch up)

Mr bell has engineered a set of RP plastic chassis specifically for OUR card stock freight cars. wile I still like our all paper cars from the very popular "Critters" disk, these frames are pretty slick. You can check them out at Shapeways. here's the link.
www.shapeways.com/model/270141/
We will have our own kits up there in the future I assure you but till then we support Tom's effort.
December 3, 2011 | Registered CommenterDave
Looks like they are only available in HOn3, unfortunately.
December 6, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterBill
Wow, that's pretty interesting stuff. I've experienced 3D rapid prototyping in our "Pre-Engineering" curriculum at our local high school. 3D Systems has its "home office" here in Rock Hill, SC, and they have worked with us in the past to allow students to design AND PRODUCE propellors for windmill trials. It's rewarding to see a bright, young "engineer" see his work in CAD one day then hold it in his HANDS the next!
http://www.3dsystems.com/

Anyway, one of the neat features of rapid prototyping/printing is that you can make plastic parts that could not be manufactured by the usual methods such as molding. Shapeways has a bus that would be impossible to mold, and I've held a working adjustable wrench that was produced as "one part" through 3D printing.

While it seems to be a bit expensive for hobby work, I saw the work "democratizing" on Shapeways AND 3D Systems' websites. Maybe this is the way we will be making ALL model railway cars, structures, and parts in the near future. This can REALLY make modeling the same structure for different scales easy -- just enter the scale factor you want in CAD.
December 6, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterMack
Thom,

I use rapid prototyping and laser cutting extensively at work and would be happy to help you with any questions, etc. Let me know what you might like to know and I will do what I can to help.

Regards,

Ben
February 1, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterBen
thanks Ben, we're pretty up on the technology. Its a cost/resolution function right now but we are keeping our eyes wide open. i have no doubt that we will offer a 3d RP product in the future.
February 1, 2012 | Registered CommenterDave