Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Narrow GaugeĀ Convention

For those of you who would like to plan ahead (and you might want to since they are already have three filled hotels), the next Narrow Gauge Convention is in Hickory, North Carolina, in September. In my opinion, the NGC's are the best train shows around. For what it's worth, I will be giving a clinic on building cardstock craftsmen kits. Will bring along a couple of examples of my own work and give some hints on making windows more realistic and detaling structures.

http://www.tarheelpress.com/ngc/

Jim
February 10, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterJim Gore
Jim, for those of us that can not attend could you possibly put together a clinic video on a site like YouTube or a text version? I know that I personally would enjoy seeing a cardstock clinic. The folks around Tulsa think that cardstock is just good for awnings and signs and my work isn't good enough yet to prove them different.
February 10, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
Steven,

I can give it a try. I am told that many of the clinics will be filmed so perhaps I can get a copy. I am revamping it from the one that I sent to Thom a couple of months ago. It will be much stronger on the construction end, I hope. It may be a while as I will be refining it over the summer months.

By the way, every time I see the name Tulsa, I harken back to my years in Tulsa and all of my friends at Action Hobbies (long gone, I suppose) and my friends Dave Coles and Doug Azery. A good group of modelers out in that neck of the woods.

Jim
February 11, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterJim Gore
Jim, as always if there is anything we can do to help your clinic. Just let us know what you need.

Thom
February 11, 2011 | Registered CommenterDave
Jim, wow that brings back memories. Action Hobbies is still in business although they've changed locations. I know Dave Cole and Doug Azery. They don't carry as much stock as they used to. If you remember Wings-N-Things Hobby they went out of business a couple of years ago.
February 11, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
Steve, Now I am really going to age myself. I even knew Dave's father, Charlie, and visited his hobby shop in Sand Spring before they moved it to Tulsa. Will see what I can do about that video. I have a notion to give an example of major kitbash of McElders for the show.
February 11, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterJim Gore
Oooh a kitbash of McElders. Now that I'd like to see. What do you have in mind? McElders is a take on one of the kits originally offered as part of the first CSS show attendees kit named for VanGelder. I did all three buildings but though it not a good idea to knock off someone else' s kit so I never released it accept for McElders. I did make significant changes.
Thom
February 11, 2011 | Registered CommenterDave
Yes I remember Charlie dave's dad, I started dealing with them when they were on 31st Street. You doing a clinic on McElders wow! I diffently want to see that one. I tried to but that one but I'm not sure what it was about it but I just couldn't get it to work as planned in HO. I did build Hoosier Mama without a problem tho. I guess it was the drop down foundation and dock that was the problem, but I know it was a simple lack of skills problem.
February 11, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
you can always try again steve, feel free to post any difficulties or ask for assistance.

Thom
February 12, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterThom M
Steve and Thom,

My plan is to take McElders and turn it into a "store-front" business, so there will be no loading dock and a new foundation. I will build two versions for the clinic; one "stock" and one "converted" [to show how to add details, enhance windows, and use different siding and textures.

Jim
February 12, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterJim Gore
Thom,
That is exactly what I enjoy about Cardstock modeling, I plan on rebuilding McElders but it doesn't cost me $20.00 or more wit h other styles of modeling.

As you know I'm working on the Hootersville Layout, it will have Commerical, Industrial, and Housing on a 2' by 8' layout. Now I have to start culling down to exactly what I want to build. This type of modeling is just great fun !!
February 12, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterSteven